Virtual Tour of St Mary's Church, Eaton Bray - Pages 37-38

 
 

The Organ

Looking back down the nave shows just how far out of alignment the nave and chancel are. The fine organ case can be appreciated from here.

Looking back towards the Organ in St Marys, Eaton Bray

 

The original organ, installed in 1840 and enlarged in 1856, was replaced in 1923 by a new instrument erected on a gallery in the tower.

By 1986 it had become quite unreliable, and a specification for a new organ was drawn up by Christopher Dearnley, Organist of St Paulís Cathedral, London.

After a remarkable programme of fund-raising, the new organ, built by Peter Collins of Redbourne, Herts., was opened on 7 December, 1991, the opening recital being given by Dr Dearnley's successor at St Paul's, John Scott. (A plaque beside the organ screen records this achievement).

End of Section

 
Previous Page   Next Page