Virtual Tour of St Mary's Church, Eaton Bray - Pages 23-24


The Roof

Looking upwards, we see that the roof timbers are supported on corbels which have been carved with various heads, allegedly representing local "characters" at the time of the restoration of the church. These were painted in 1980, when the whole interior was redecorated.

The roof itself dates from the major restoration which went on from 1875 to 1884, during which time the church was closed and services held in the schoolhouse, built in 1842 in the Vicarage grounds by the Revd G.E. Whyley at his own expense.


Close up of roof corbel of St Marys Eaton Bray

End of Section

Previous Page   Next Page